I haven’t really talked much about shopping lately because there isn’t much that I desperately need. 2015 has been relatively quiet on the shopping front; so far all I’ve accumulated is the following:
As seen on Instagram:
The following are non-urgent ideas, but would be nice to have to supplement the evolving wardrobe:
1. A pair of dressy/casual flat sandals.
I bought these super dorky (yassss!) gold Easy Spirit sandals last year and they’re not that great. The strap is loose around my ankle and the foot bed while cushy, is not entirely supportive at the arch. I am not sure whether to donate these or to see if I can get the strap shortened. I’d like something that straddles dressy-casual, so probably something in non-distressed leather. 1/2 inch heels okay.
2. A wide-brimmed (straw?) hat for walking
I walk during my breaks at work. The straw hat I use is falling apart. I’d like one that I can tie under my chin in case it is windy. I like straw hats because it makes me feel like I’m from Little House on the Prairie, but I could also go for a more outdoorsy/sporty sun-fabric hat for practicality’s sake. I like the idea of a straw hat; I personally like the idea of being that dorky Asian lady with a visor (not yet! maybe in 20 more years!) While I love that Southern California gets a ton of sun, my skin will probably appreciate some protection.
3. A new fitted button-down shirt (dressy)
My old button-down work shirts are much too large on me. I’d like a fitted white or navy dress shirt to have on hand for interviews or “formal” work occasions. The sloppy fit of my older shirts are ok for casual days, but there are times when I need a prim and proper option.
4. Running socks
Of all the things on this list I’ll probably buy these first, along with the hat. My current socks abrade my skin after long runs–I think because of the way the inside of the sock is manufactured. Going to try these Hidden Comfort socks by Balega on the next pay cycle.
What I don’t really need but kind of want anyway:
– straight (not skinny) jeans in a light wash. not sure if I want distressing or whiskering yet, but Sue of Susie So So sure makes it look good. (look at her jeans 1, 2, 3, 4 not fair! so many options!)
– another dark plum lipstick (I own Bite Beauty’s High Pigment Pencil in Bramble) but Mac’s Sin (Matte) lipstick makes me look like one of those Tumblr girls (actually, that’s model Taylor Hill.) The dark lip + bold brow combo satisfies the 90’s craving I have without necessarily dipping back into plastic tribal tattoos (which I wouldn’t mind trying again for the hell of it.)
– I don’t need perfume, but I enjoy it and I’m running low on my main scents. Not a high-priority purchase, but one I can probably save for a birthday or special occasion.
It’s interesting to move from filling closet gaps to refining needs/desires. I notice that the things I want above are replacements or refinements of items I currently own. In some cases, what I own fails to fulfill its purpose (gold sandals) and at other times I’m buying because I ran out (perfume.) In general, I’m glad that I’m better at identifying WHY I want to buy something new–knowing the reason and purpose behind it helps me evaluate and prioritize future purchases. And spending that time to deliberate weeds out a lot of impulses and leads to a more optimized acquisition.
That’s it for me on the shopping front–quite boring, really, but it’s just where life is going nowadays. What’s on your shopping list lately? What’s your best buy of the year so far?