I had a post idea bubble up this morning as I was doing my makeup so I thought, let’s run with this inspiration and fire up the good ol’ blog! So here I am with a mid-year update; let’s get down to business, ne? Prepare thineself for the copious selfies–thou hast been warned.
I started writing/posting in 2013, and I wore nothing / pressed powder only:
In 2014 I lost twenty pounds, grew more hair (that remained tangled, lol), and made a little routine called the “Five Minute Face” that began with my brows. It felt pretty good, and I enjoyed doing my eyebrows so I kept it up.
2015 events brought the introduction of eyeliner and lipcolor, to varying success:
2016– muscle memory and control is a little better. Started looking for a nude lip color and bought a few new brushes to add to the makeup bag.
2017’s Everyday Face no longer takes a mere five minutes, because I’ve since expanded my skill set. Here’s what I use on a regular basis (some steps optional):
From left to right:
- Lorac Pro to Go Eye/Cheek Palette
- NARS Radiance Enhancing Light Optimizing Primer
- Rimmel Matte BB Cream 9-in-1 Skin Perfecting Super Makeup in Medium
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara in 001 Black
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Pencil in 005 Nude
- L’Oreal Infallible The Super Slim Liquid Eyeliner in Black
- Rimmel Brow this Way Brow Gel in Clear
- L’Oreal True Match Pressed Powder in N3 – Natural Buff
- Nyx Blush in PB01 Mocha
- Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Setting Spray
- Moisturizer with SPF (not photographed), NARS primer on eyes, BB cream, pressed powder.
- Brow routine which is filling in sparse areas with a Bobbi Brown eyeshadow close to my hair color; Rimmel brow gel to set.
- Eyes. I create my own version of a “cut crease” or what I think looks like a cut crease, but is really just a smudge of something, with the Lorac palette. Or if I’m in a rush and only can do one color, I use single MAC pots in a non-descript brown just to have some color on the eyelids. Optional: I’ll tightline the lower waterline with nude pencil for work, smudge the gold/bronze color if I’m in the mood. Same with mascara or eyeliner. If I’m wearing all of the above, I consider that my “fleekest” for the day. Not really. It still looks pretty restrained.
- Blush because why not. Concealer if I really need it, but I tend to forget/eliminate this step.
- Setting spray when done.
I like what I’ve been doing so far:
Hair’s all poofy.
This definitely takes a little longer than five minutes–I’d say about twenty, because I’m a lot more picky about my eyebrows and the eyeshadows when I do this. I’ve had days where I overfilled the brows and looked pretty silly or was sloppy on blending the shadow. But overall I really like where I am right now with the routine and while I am not quite yet a glazed donut perhaps 2018 might be my year! Maybe contouring will be passe by the time I get to it?